Sunday, June 9, 2013

Yes--We Did It!

As it were, being without internet for the past couple weeks has made updating this very difficult.  But I seized the first opportunity I got and am writing now. 
     With only six weeks and two days left until our departing flight, suffice it to say, things are getting a little crazy.  I have finally decided on a specific VBS program and I'm beginning to collect school items for the students and look into crafts and supplies.
     And I have fantastic news: I am thrilled to announce that I have raised all of my financial support for Puerto Rico!  I was aiming high and setting my monetary goal at $1,900, which would give me enough money to cover my initial expenses and take care of an emergency.
     As I have already pointed out, I had been very anxious about the whole support thing.  I had already done several fundraisers and even with sending support letters, I was still trying not to worry.  I did not expect/plan for my support letters to bring in a whole lot of funds, so I began planning other fundraisers to do...fearing that I would not have enough time to plan a VBS, buy all of the supplies, get miscellaneous things together, and pack everything in time--all in addition to doing more fundraisers.  So much to do and so little time to do it!
     I had made a list of family/friends who I thought may be supportive of my trip and I prayed over the list, adding names and scratching out names as I felt led.  There were several families whom I felt prompted to add to my list, and though I felt rather odd in doing so...I sent them a support letter, nonetheless.  I once again put it all in His hands and decided not to worry about it.  He would work it out all in His timing. 
     So this past week, I got my monthly financial report.  Not only did I reach my goal but I also surpassed it!  Praise the Lord!  Now I can buy anything extra for the VBS that I might need and still have extra incase of any unforeseen circumstances.
     I was completely astounded by the number of people who contributed financially and how many were willing to prayerfully support me!  I was pleasantly surprised when I received support from those I least expected.  I even received monetary gifts from people I had never met before; people who had only heard about my trip from a mutual friend!
     I also just wanted to take a minute to thank everyone who agreed to support me--both monetarily and through prayer!  I appreciate your thoughtfulness and your generosity more than you will ever know!  As I received check after check and saw the x's marked next to the 'I will pray for Rachel,' the tears started and I could not stop thanking God for the blessings you all are to me.  And just knowing that as I work around the school and sign with those students and help the teachers, you all will be back here, holding me up and supporting me in prayer, is the greatest comfort.
      So in six weeks and two days, I will be aboard a jet, flying over the ocean on my way to Puerto Rico.  And just remember, I will be on that jet because you made it possible.  And while I may be there by myself, I really am not going alone.  You have my back in prayer and you sent me out--we are a team--you helped me to go and be the physical 'hands of Jesus,' while you all were the 'behind the scenes' helpers.  Your love, prayers and encouragement mean more to me than you know, and it will offer me strength and comfort while I'm there, doing what God has called me to do.
     I cannot wait to embark on this incredible journey!  Thank you for investing in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment