Thursday, September 19, 2013

Skyping With the Kiddos!

Today marks the nineteenth day that I've been back in PA, away from my dear students and friends who obviously remain in Puerto Rico. It's strange how in many ways it seems as if I've been away forever. Many people continue to ask me if I'm happy to be back...I really haven't decided yet and I honestly do not know how to respond to this question. Thus, I simply reply, "I really don't know." Part of me, or rather, most all of me, yearns to be in Puerto Rico sitting in Betsy's classroom tutoring the kids in writing, or hanging in the library interpreting a story, or helping Francis study for her spelling test. There is simply no feeling or moment like it. And I miss those dear, silly kids more than anything! My heart has undoubtedly stayed on the island.
     However, I am aware that for this season, the Lord wants me back here. Thus, I am glad to be in the center of His will where He wants me--I know I'd be miserable if I were not in His will. So I have many mixed emotions on the matter; longing to be at ESD in Puerto Rico, yet contenting myself with being in His will and doing all He asks of me.
     I have continued to interpret church services for the Deaf man who is still attending every Sunday, thus I am learning and am able to practice my Signing. He says he can already see me improving--which is a great encouragement to know. Last Sunday, I interpreted the entire church service and all of the two-way conversations afterwards. I can certainly feel myself becoming more confident...both in my ability to relay information and receive that which is being signed to me. That evening, everyone returned to church for a special question-and-answer meeting, for which I interpreted as well. Then everyone stayed to chat for a while thereafter. All in all, I signed and interpreted for more than four hours straight. I am absolutely loving it! I pray that all I'm doing here will help me to improve so that when I return to Puerto Rico, I can be of a better assistance to Betsy.
     I have also, already received several sweet letters from my roomie (to which I have already responded.) I will honestly say that when I opened the mailbox and saw two letters addressed to me in green gel pen with a return address from Francis, I could scarcely contain my delight. I rushed into the house and ripped them open, pouring over her news of the recent happenings at school. I laughed, rolled my eyes, fought tears, and said, "Ha-ha, that doesn't surprise me," and "Gosh, I wish I had been there!"
     Everyday, throughout the morning and afternoon when I glance at the clock, I am mentally transported back to ESD. When I eat my breakfast in the morning, I think, "All of the students should have arrived by now, the flags have been raised, and everyone is in the chapel for songs and a Bible lesson." A little while later when I notice the time, I know they are in Betsy's classroom for Social Studies and math time. I finish my lunch break at 1 p.m. and I think, "Now Betsy's rounding up the kiddos from recess, where Mizael and Kevin were mostly likely playing on the tire-swing or practicing guitar with the girls, and they are all traipsing into the library for reading/study time." At 2:30 they are back in Betsy's classroom, homework has been handed out and they are discussing attitudes and the kindness portrayed throughout the day. And I know that at 3:30 everyone is grabbing their bags and are making their way home.
Gosh, I miss this classroom and tutoring English class so very much !
     Although this past week has been really rough for me; especially last Friday. All of the stress was really weighing on my mind and I was on the verge of panicking. Studying for the SAT exam, writing essays and filling out my college application; all in addition to my other required schoolwork and new classes, while still trying to readjust to being back in here in PA was beginning to become oppressive. "Lord, keep me on track and help me focus on the tasks ahead of me! Please help me to relax and clear my mind!" Now this short plea may seem to some like an oxymoron, but please understand that in order for me to focus on the things I had to do, I first had to clear my mind and just chillax.
      Being the wonderful God that He is, He answered my prayer within minutes when the sweet kids in Puerto Rico called me! My day instantly brightened when I spent most of my afternoon Skyping with them! I was able to completely forget my busy schedule/the papers I need to write--and just sign and joke with my dear friends. God is so good! They shared with me the recent happenings at ESD: telling me about the new student, describing how much fun they're having in guitar class, informing me of the fact that they're nearly done their spelling books in which practically everyone earned an A, discussing life in the dorms, laughing about their weekly adventures at church, etc. I laughed so hard at times I could scarcely breathe. At one point, the boys were across the room signing a song together while I was chatting with my "sisters." They later convinced the girls to join them and Mizael appointed me to sign the chorus of the song as they interpreted the rest. So there we sat, all signing along together. Even from my living room in PA, I can still join the kids in music/songs! How great is that? Oh, my heart was so happy! I felt for the near two hours, that I was really back in the school library chatting/signing face-to-face. Oh, Skype is my new best friend. Before they had to leave, we said, "Hasta luego," and promised to talk again this Friday....Believe me, I'm am ready to see them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment