Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Another Answered Prayer!

With each passing day, my excitement intensifies! But while there is still so much to do during my remaining six days in the U.S, I find myself finally able to relax--at least slightly, anyway as the number of things on my crazy-long to-do list, seem to be slowly dwindling; which, as you can imagine, is a great weight lifted from my shoulders! Yesterday was my last day at work (until I return in the fall), I have taken the exam at HACC, I have sent my laptop back to get repaired, I have planned more of my crafts/songs/etc. for the VBS and I have finally begun the extensive task of packing. So I am, slowly but surely, getting there.
     I was also blessed with the opportunity to spend this past weekend away at the Delaware beach with my bestie and a few awesome friends from church. Like one last big hurrah before I go and she leaves for college. It was so refreshing to spend quality time with like-minded young women who love to serve God! We
chilled and talked, walked out to the bay and watched the sunset, strolled along the boardwalk where we browsed the sea-side stores and had dinner, and spent a majority of our time at the beach where we suntanned (or in our case, burned badly) and watched several porpoises playing in the waves and a sea turtle swimming up close!
     But as awesome as it all was, God just had to top that. Now keep in mind that for the past several months I had been praying, earnestly seeking His will and direction as far as signing and where I should go with it. Sure, I want to interpret, but where does He want me to use the gift He has given me? The ominous question, everpresent in my mind being: Where does He want me to attend college? As you may remember, last month, I toured RIT/NTID in Rochester, New York and absolutely loved it. But the only instruction I had received seemed to simply be, "Be patient--When it's My timing, I will make it evident to you. Continue in the direction I have lead you." And, "When it's My timing, I will make it undeniably clear to you...and I won't let you miss the mark!" That was all well and good, and reassuring--but I wanted to know now!
     For weeks that was all I seemed to be hearing. Finally, in my exasperation, I asked for another sign. (Much like the time at the restraunt in New Jersey when in answer to my prayer, He brought a little deaf girl to me--unmistakibly giving me my answer!) So I humbly requested a sign, saying, "Lord, I am feeling oddly drawn to RIT, but I know that You'll show me where I am to go. So if RIT is Your plan for me, please give me a sign (preferably like the last one) but a sign nonetheless. Let me know without a shadow of a doubt that it is where You want me."

     So in my haste to prepare for my weekend away, I had practically forgotten my request...almost. So Monday morning came around and I was enjoying our "girl time" as we all lay out on the beach reading and chatting. I was lost in thought when suddenly I sat up and squinted into the blazing sun. I sighed inwardly...from where I was sitting, my only view of the waves had been blocked by two ladies who had decided to sit there on the beach. Oh well. I rearranged my towel and began to lay back down, when a movement caught my eye. One of the lady's hands were moving. I sat bolt upright. Was she swatting at a fly? No, the movements were made with precision--and they made sense! They were signing! Unable to help myself, I "eyesdropped" (evesdropped with my eyes) and watched them silently discuss potential dinner plans. I was practically vibrating, which warranted an eyeroll from my bestie, Audra, who found my enthusiasm amusing.
     "I need to go talk to them!" I exclaimed, not taking my eyes off of them for a second.
     Audra laughed, "Well, what are you going to say?"
     I shrugged, "I have no idea--but I can't just sit here--I have to at least say hi!"
     As I stood up, a thought popped univited, into my mind: maybe she knows something about RIT....I waved the thought away. That was ridiculous...she probably wasn't from the area and most likely had no idea that RIT even existed. But suddenly, my thoughts immediately went back to the restaurant in New Jersey. Could this be the sign I had been praying for?
     Practically shaking with excitement, I approached the younger of the two...the teenage girl I had seen signing. When she answered me in voiced English, I tried to swallow my disapointment. So she wasn't deaf, after all. After exchanging the pleasantries, I learned that her mother was deaf. We chatted for a while and when she asked if I wanted to be an Interpreter, I eagerly said that, "Yes, I was considering RIT in New York."  I began explaining what RIT was, when she politely interrupted me.
     "My son just graduated from RIT as an interpreter and my daughter (she motioned to the girl sitting next to her) wants to go there to become an interpreter!" She paused and smiled. "You two should get names and numbers--maybe if you're both accepted, you could be roommates!" I nearly fell over. No way! This seriously couldn't be happening! It seemed too good to be true! After we exchanged names, email addresses, etc, I learned that her daughter was in my grade and would be applying to RIT next year. I mentioned to them about my mission work with the deaf in Puerto Rico and she was elated, reminding me to add that information in my essay for RIT. Her daughter signed something I didn't quite catch and the lady smiled up at me, signing, "Is she ready? Oh yes, she's ready!"
     Walking away a little while later, I thought about my request earlier that week for a sign about RIT. Did I dare to hope that this was my long-awaited-for sign that RIT was where He wanted me? As I listened for God's response, this was all I heard Him say, "You asked Me to make it clear to you--Was that clear enough? If it wasn't, I don't know how much clearer I can make it!" So, I'm thinking that was a "yes!"
     Seriously, how crazy is it that I meet a deaf person, muchless someone on the Delaware Beach who's from Fredrick, Maryland and who is planning to attend RIT? I mean seriously! I believe God sent them to be there at that presise moment to confirm to me His plan and to remind me that I can do all things through Him! I don't believe in coincidences. He told me He wouldn't let me miss it--and He meant it literally--so much so that He placed them on the beach directly in front of me where I couldn't see the ocean around them! There really was no way that I could have missed them.
    So I know without a doubt that was my sign and that I am to continue pursuing my education at RIT. Ultimately, my acceptance to RIT will be the biggest sign, but until then, I'm trusting this one! And I still cannot seem to get over how faithful God is!

No comments:

Post a Comment