Tuesday, July 23, 2013

We Have Arrived!

(Disclaimer: Just a warning; my computer auto-corrected my software to Spanish, so until I manage to get it "de-Spanishified," I hope this works and you can read this in English. But hey, I guess I must learn Spanish somehow, right?)
     Needless to say, I finally got packed. It's a miracle! Do I hear the hallelujah chorus?! Amid  my mad scramble of rushing around and throwing things helter-skelter across my room, which now takes on the effect of a disaster area, I have come to the conclusion that the most difficult part of packing--is shutting the bag! But enough about my meticulous packing, no one cares....
     So after dragging my limp carcass out of bed at 3 am this morning and stuffing the car full with enough bags to support a military camp, we set off on our nerve-wracking drive to Baltimore. Thankfully my mother was driving and was willing to brave the crazy traffic. I don't think I had any fingernails left by the time we parked at BWI...the traffic was terrifying me--and I wasn't even driving!
     So after the bus driver attempted to end all of our lives as he too, tried his hand at being a reckless Baltimore driver, we finally arrived at the airport, where we sagged against our luggage in relief and thanked God for our lives spared. And, come to think of it, quite possibly the Security Guard who growled us before we boarded, had been forced onto public transportation and had to ride with that rebel of a bus driver...that could explain his cross demeanor and his bi-polar attitude.
     But against all odds, we overcame the opposing forces and succeeded at arriving to our gate with plenty of time to spare...only to be informed that our flight was delayed an hour. Ugh, I should have just stayed in bed (where I could have gotten another hour of my precious beauty sleep.) But no such luck. So once we finally boarded, I forced myself into a light sleep and willed the time to pass quickly. Let me tell you, that was the longest four hours of my entire life! Wait, no, I take that back. The longest couple hours of my life are when I am forced to endure Science and Math classes. So never mind. But as previously stated, my goal was to sleep the time away...it sounded like a great plan, but apparently, the two little girls who were seated behind me, obviously pumped on caffeine, disagreed. My eyes slowly shut and my breathing became deep and heavy when one shouted, "Dad! Are we there yet?!" The other echoed her question and, to my great dismay, this continued for the next three and a half hours! Leaving me wishing even more that we "would be there yet!" And just in case you were wondering, there was not much sleeping going on. Sleep? What's that?
     Finally, and I do mean finally, we landed! Now I know I heard the hallelujah chorus then! And being the kind, wonderful soul that she is, Betsy came and picked us up at the airport (Gosh, I have missed that lady!)--then she took us and another teacher out to lunch! Oh, I had forgotten how wonderful Puerto Rican food is! I don't believe I could ever again be satisfied with our tasteless American entrées. If you have ever wondered what heaven's food tastes like, visit an original Puerto Rican restaurant and believe me, you will know.
     When we returned to the school and chose our rooms, we joined Betsy and several others for dinner! Oh, that was great! I had entirely too much fun and laughed so hard my abs ached in protest. Gosh, I love these people!
      So now I am working on unpacking--well, entertaining the thought of unpacking anyway. But I think I'll leave that for tomorrow. And I will conquer this procrastination problem--just you wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment