Monday, August 5, 2013

Back to School!

Today is our first day back to school!! Yahoo!! I have been anticipating this day for the past 13 months. God is so good and brought all but one of the students to school this morning. (The other little boy will arrive tomorrow.)
     All of the students seem excited for the new school year (some more than others) and I believe they are enjoying themselves. It is almost the end of the day and their parents are beginning to arrive. I am currently sitting in the classroom surrounded by the best group of kids, who are diligently putting their English writing skills to the test. And while they are all working independently, the older ones are willing to assist the younger ones while Betsy attempts to figure out passwords, so we are all working together-so nice. I don’t think I could be more content!  I am sitting here writing this and answering questions regarding the spelling of English words and grammar. And I find it difficult to focus as signing is going on all around me; and I am completely beside myself  with excitement that I am actually here with these amazing kids! Gosh, have I missed these people!
     So I think today’s Vacation Bible School was a success! They told me they "much liked it" so I am greatly encouraged to know that the program wasn’t a flop! I was amazed at how everyone (the staff) took their "duties" and ran with them, making them so much more interesting and exciting. Betsy’s Bible lesson was amazing! She is so creative and had me laughing so hard. Nate dressed up and portrayed Gideon as she told the story, making the kids rock with laughter. Rosa certainly impressed me with her creativity in playing games with the memory verses and I greatly enjoyed that. Brendan and Rebekah also did a wonderful job on planning and completing today’s scientific discovery time, so neat. Tess did a great job teaching some new songs and I know they really enjoyed it (I especially, as there were several of my favorites/songs I remember singing in Sunday school.) I did however, feel rather unprepared for craft time and entered the room, praying
Kevin & Mizael sporting the "clouds." (Photobombed by Tess.
everything would go smoothly. We created a mural of the ocean using a huge box that I had spray painted blue. We added sand and glitter and made clouds from shaving cream, paint and glue. Such a great idea and the kids really liked it. Kevin and Mizael became too ambitious and made a sun from the shaving cream/glue mixture, although it melted almost immediately into a big, slimy blob that landed in our ocean--wow, that was the shortest sunset I have ever seen! Things also became interesting when they began smearing us with the mixture...om my nose I had a blue dollop and I still have it in my hair to prove it! Cantankerous kids! Meanwhile, the others were enjoying themselves a little too much and got "slightly" carried away with the glitter. I have never seen so much glitter in my life. But alas, they had a blast.
     Then, for my Home Ec. class. This, I was especially hesitant about. You see, first of all, I have never taught something like this before and secondly, I have been so preoccupied with other things that lunches really were not a huge priority. I knew it would get done somehow, but with whom and  when could I get it all done? Betsy said to show them the process of how to make their lunch since most do not cook...but she never specified how exactly to teach that. So with a prayer that sounded much like this: Lord, give me your words and show me how to explain this easily and allow them to understand, I snuck out of the chapel during the songs. So with Nate and Amanda’s help, we
My Home Ec. Class with the students making Taco-Salad. :)
cleaned the kitchen and were able to get things somewhat organized before the students came in. Still having no idea where to even begin, I made a split-second decision and asked the students to line up. They did so immediately and when I looked around at the dozens of shining dark eyes fixated on me, I knew it was too late to bow out--I was s-t-u-c-k.
     I took a deep breath and backed toward the stove, explaining the menu. I scurried around the kitchen, feeling as if I was not accurately explaining the process of cooking the burger first, adding the sauce, chopping the vegetables and then mixing it together. But they seemed to understand perfectly; asking no questions, watching intently and doing everything I asked. I taught a little bit of safely, which they all knew, before diving into my lesson and demonstration. It was almost like having my own cooking show--only it was all in Sign.
     It honestly doesn’t get any better than that! They all obeyed the instructions and did a wonderful job of making their meal. But I had been concerned that they would hate the food or be bored to tears, but they seemed to genuinely enjoy it. This was confirmed when they later told me they loved it and wanted to do it again on Wednesday--which is good, because that was the plan anyway. What a great relief! But as I cooked and signed, explained and gave instruction, I soon found that within minutes, my unease and my feelings of awkwardness seemed to disappear. The more I signed, the more they smiled and nodded, which in turn gave me the confidence I needed and urged me to continue. Soon all anxiety completely vanished, and it was just me and the students, working together, doing something I love--all in Sign no less! I cannot wait to do it again!
A group photo--Nate is so much fun! ;)
     Then after the kitchen was restored to some semblance of order, we had games. Yay! Which was certainly a winner for sure. Laurie did a fantastic job and again, the kids said they absolutely loved it and I had a total blast! I’m sure there must be a law somewhere, stating it’s illegal to have so much fun. We lined up chairs and split the group of staff and students into two equal teams, both of which were given a different color to wear, and we played "Human-Tic-Tac-Toe." Definitely the favorite activity. And I laughed so hard I couldn’t breathe.
     Oh God is so good! And I cannot stop praising Him for all He's done for me. I simply cannot get over it.
     I am anticipating another fun-filled month with these amazing people and am so looking forward to another fun-filled day tomorrow! Love these people!

No comments:

Post a Comment