Sunday, August 25, 2013

She's Always Watching....

It's Sunday...Let's just take a moment of silence to reflect. And as Betsy so sweetly put it this morning at church: "Ah, it's Sunday! It's the best day of the week because it's the first--but it's also the worst because it's the last day of the weekend...."
     So after church this morning and lunch/shopping with Betsy afterwards, I came home and had a relatively relaxed afternoon. I chilled by myself, rocked out to my music as I put away my groceries and wrote some thank-you notes, then read through my journal. I hung out my laundry to dry on the line and then came inside to finish writing...only five minutes later I heard the pouring rain. Seriously? Oh, this is the story of my life.... I should be used to things like this by now!
     Then when Francis and Rosa returned from their shopping excursion, I hung with them for the rest of the evening. Gosh, that girl is hilarious! She is definitely a comedian. And I know now why my abs are feeling sore.... At one point, I was laying on my bed, talking to my mother and Francis was sitting across the room, trying to get my attention. But since I couldn't see her calling for me, I didn't look at her. But when the flip-flop came hurling through the air and hit my leg, I immediately reverted my attention to her. This method seemed to work swimmingly; she'd have a homework question and when she tossed a shoe at me, I would turn around and answer her. After the first half hour, one would have thought she'd run out of shoes. But that wasn't the case; somehow she always had a steady supply to use as ammunition. But just watch; tomorrow morning everyone will wonder about all of the bruises covering my body. And I will simply say, "My little, seemingly innocent roommate is actually quite vicious and went on a wild rampage. She attacked me in my room...." Well, it's the best I can come up with off the top of my head. However, I know for a fact that the nasty bruise on my elbow is from when I banged it on the wall. Betsy, your shower is too small! Or maybe my arms are too long. I have no idea...but whatever the case may be, that injury was not roommate inflicted.
     But between all of that, I did find time to look over the "report" that my mom had given Betsy to fill out. (It was more like a performance review.) Betsy handed me the paper at lunch and while we had discussed some of the more prominent points, I was dying to know what the rest of the letter contained. So as Betsy's been watching me throughout the past couple weeks, she has been taking notes on my skills as a Signer, my conduct towards the students, my interaction with the other staff, my behavior during class time, and my overall performance.
     Reading it over, I must admit, I was surprised. She gave me an A on virtually everything, summing it up by saying that, "I (Rachel) definitely know what I'm doing...but I just need the courage to do it!"
     I had not expected that. She also said that I would make a great teacher--Wow, I had so not anticipated that either! Who knew?!
     So while I am feeling encouraged, there are still a few things I know I need to work on (like my Non-manual-markers, for one.) Those silly facial expressions get me every time. But when she told me that she thought there could be improvement in that department--her comment warranted an expression she finally did approve of. So I have decided to dedicate my last week here to fixing the errant mistakes I have been making.
     Facial expressions...I've got this. And Kevin will be wondering why I'm insisting we do so much math homework this week...because that's where I can most effectively practice. When he gives me a hard time--I give him a look (actually many looks, depending upon the situation)...but usually one that says, "I'm not amused...." Ha, just kidding. I'll gladly leave the math to someone who actually doesn't despise it and I will go find another, safer place in which to practice my NMMs! Just think; if I stayed with the math, the only facial expression I'd be able to accurately replicate would be that of me hurling...but that won't get me far in my interpreting career, now would it? I can see my professor now, quizzing me about my NMMs...My response? "Well, sometimes I throw up." Uh, yeah, good luck getting a diploma.

No comments:

Post a Comment