Sunday, August 11, 2013

Using the Imagination.

Exactly as planned, Tess and I made the trip across the island and over the mountains until we arrived in the town of Orocovis. Gosh, when Tess said the roads were curvy--she wasn't kidding! I have never seen anything like it and I cannot express how grateful I am that I do not get carsick, because that could have ended very differently! So up and up the mountain we drove, peering down over the side of the road into the valley and over at the neighboring mountains covered with colorful houses.
Finally we crested the top and after parking the car, we made our way down a footpath until we reached a little pink and green house. We had to admit, that after driving for three hours, we were very relieved to find the family at home. I was surprised that they remembered me from last year. So cool.
     The girls greeted us with hugs and soon we were all seated at the table, making the crafts I had brought along for them. Since they have virtually nothing--anything makes them happy and gives them something to do. So together, we all made friendship bracelets as the father and boyfriend looked on. None of them are very social and have an almost nonexistent vocabulary, thus communication was limited. So we scarcely "spoke" but were content to work together in silence. And as I watched them, I noticed also that none of them have really changed since I had last seen them; apart from looking slightly older.
      The mother made a bracelet for her husband, and after she tied it onto his wrist...he demanded she take it off immediately because, despite the fact that it was orange, bracelets are only for girls! I couldn't help but laugh at his frantic objection. So after our bracelets were made, the girls insisted on painting our fingernails. I sat and look at the pictures on my camera with them as they bent over my hands, slapping blue paint on my nails. They are so sweet. At one point, she encouraged me out on the porch and there I knelt, painting the girl's toenails and covering the dirt. They then joined me on the couch and spent half an hour braiding and playing with my hair, at times giving me duos I would never been seen with in public. I gave them money for their gas-stove so they can cook their rice and am still praying about what else I can do to help them.
Typical church service with the gang! <3
       This morning, as has become habitual, I once again joined Betsy in her pew at church. She turned to me and explained that she and Hector would be preforming a special song today and that she wanted me to interpret it for Larimar (one of our deaf students) and the other Deaf people present. I looked at her as if she had completely lost her mind (which at that moment, I could only wonder.) This was a bad idea. "How? You'll be singing in Spanish?!"
     She nodded and thrust her phone into my hand. "Here are the lyrics...Learn the song. We play in half an hour." Stunned, I watched her walk onto the stage and begin playing her cello. Oh lovely. I looked down at the screen and sighed. Yeah, it would be my luck that I had never heard the hymn before--not even in English. And wouldn't it figure that today would be the Sunday Rosa would decide to visit an English-speaking church and Kevin wouldn't be there either? So seizing the few precious minutes I was so graciously granted, I crammed the lyrics into my mind and glossed the song into Sign as quickly and efficiently as I could. Although, I need not have worried about it, as there was a Puerto Rican girl who knew some Sign and volunteered to interpret it. I was actually slightly disappointed at the new development, but figured that since she could at least understand the Spanish words, it would make it better for the Deaf people. But after the service, they opened the alter for the congregation to respond to the message. Betsy left her post as interpreter to go play the piano and waved me onto the stage to join her. "Interpret! I can't." She whispered as she scooted over on the piano bench to make room for me. "What's he saying?!" I asked as I flashed a sweet smile towards my audience and acted completely nonchalant. Betsy continued playing and whispered the words to me in English, which I in turn, interpreted into Sign. So far, so good. But my relief was only momentary. When the pastor began to pray, I helplessly nudged Betsy.
     She nudged right back. "I dunno, I cannot multi-task right now!"
     Okay then. I kept my smile plastered on my face and whispered through clenched teeth. "But I can't understand him!" She continued to play, also grinning, and whispered through her teeth, "Then make something up!"
     I sighed inwardly. I had no idea what to do, but I was determined not to show it. Having no alternative, I glanced at the pastor before diving into a prayer of blessing--and although it was somewhat imaginary, I meant every word. I was doing so well, adding pauses and glancing at him occasionally....but to my horror, he went on and on and on. What I thought would be a closing prayer of blessing, had become a ten minute prayer of--well, I didn't know what it was. All I knew that I had exhausted my entire imagination. I mean seriously, there is only so much you can come up with, right? So finally, I admitted defeat and told my audience that I was now confused and completely lost (rather, I had been from the instant he started but they didn't need to know that.) So they accepted my stupidity and waited for the amen and the closing of church. Hmm, not such a hot start for my Signing career, but, I told myself that when I interpret in the future--it will be from a language I can understand!!! Oh, what can I say? My life is seldom boring.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel, it is so funny to read that. Love it. Come next Sunday and you can interpret special music for real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so funny!!! I could not be writing a lot like this.

    ReplyDelete