Friday, August 9, 2013

The Conclusion of VBS!

The dorm students have gone home for the weekend, only to return on Sunday evening. The others have also gone home and will be arriving back on Monday morning. So as previously stated, today was the last day of VBS; which in my opinion is bitter-sweet. I have enjoyed it immensely--perhaps more than the students, and have learned so much in and through this week. Thus, I am saddened that it's over so soon. But on a different note, I cannot wait to experience the classrooms and ESD at work. I will still have the responsibility of teaching my Home Ec. Class several times a week, which I am so looking forward to! In addition, Betsy wants me to teach the students how to throw discus--I will include work-outs, warm-ups and some serious competition! I am beyond pumped for this! We will begin slowly as I show them the basic steps and proper technics--eventually, I have no doubt the competition will be real, so we will then relocate to a location with more open space...more specifically, the beach! I cannot wait--although it has been May since I last threw, so maybe I should practice one of these days, huh? Gosh, it would be embarrassing if one of the boys, who have never thrown before, beat me; especially since I have been doing this for three years. Oh well, we shall see. Moreover, Betsy suggested that both of these activities could count as part of the students' math class...Hmm, I wish my math was this enticing!
     But that's beside the point. Also, I will be helping to teach a "journalism" class, where Betsy wants me to encourage the students to write and practice proper grammar. She would like them to each write "reports" and asked if I could show them how. I will be using my blog and newspaper articles as examples, and will work from there. I am also beyond excited for this as well! Great stuff!
     We just returned to our rooms from an evening of hanging with the crew and playing games in the library...as we discussed Signed songs on the internet, Tess suddenly interjected about a guy who's Signing is amazing. "He must be deaf!" She waved her arms, "He must be hearing!" We all sat back and rocked with laughter. When our laughter finally began to subside and we calmed down, it was decided that we didn't know what he was...only that he was a superb Signer!" I was laughing so hard I thought I would cough up my spleen. I'm not entirely sure that can physically happen--but at that point in time, as I struggled to breathe, I figured anything is possible! Oh, I love these people!
     Tomorrow, as it appears, the plan is for Tess and I to leave early and drive two and a half hours to Orocovis (a town far up in the mountains) to visit a Deaf family there. (Thus, I am not writing much as I must get ready for bed.) And since I have not seen the family since our VBS last year, I am excited to hang with them and play some games with the girls. I have also never been to Orocovis before, so I am sure it will be an adventure! So I am certainly looking forward to driving through the mountains, visiting the Deaf family, and hanging with Tess.     

No comments:

Post a Comment