Saturday, August 3, 2013

Room Inspection And Decorating.

Today marks the end of our "summer break" and now the real work/responsibility begins anew. It was also our last day to get fully prepared for the students' return to school and our opening week of VBS.
     Thinking about getting prepared reminds me of my dorm. Remember how it had taken us an entire day to rearrange our rooms? Well, I am beginning to think I should dedicate another day strictly to reorganizing my room. Yeah right; I scarcely have time to accomplish the daily and necessary tasks that I have been assigned to, much less cleaning my room. But you see, here is what happens: Lately I have been so busy, rushing around trying to do things before I have to leave or meet someone, and I change clothes often throughout the course of a day (because it's so hot and it also depends on whether I'm organizing classrooms or painting. So inevitably, my room seems to accumulate "stuff.") But you get the point. So when I am called away, I tend to toss whatever it was I was doing, on my bed before running out to help. Then at mid-night when I finally go to bed, I fumble around in the dark and when I am unable to find where it belongs, I simply set it on my dresser or chair....and so the vicious cycle continues. And in all seriousness, I can never seem to find time to really rectify this situation. It's quite embarrassing to be completely honest. But I know it must be dealt with...at least, if I correctly understood Betsy and got the hint.
     So last week, she had asked if my room was "homey." I explained that I had brought a few small things from my room at home; a journal, a book (which I haven't even had time to read a page of,) a photo album made for me by my Bestie, etc. So yes, I said that I thought it had a rather homey feel. Seemingly satisfied with my answer, she moved on to another topic of discussion.


     Then, a few days ago, while she was making a personal delivery to our dorm, she wanted to have a peek at one of the student's rooms. No one lives there and she's the principle so sure, why not. I led her toward the room, not even considering a detour nor a surprise room inspection. But alas; as she followed me down the hall, she paused at my door. I opened my mouth to scream a warning, claiming a gas leak or the presence of an explosive substance--anything to prevent her from entering! But she will not be deterred. So before I could distract her or make a scene, she stepped on in. Oh, this would be good. What could I do now? I had no choice but to follow, and feeling much like a child being asked about a stolen cookie, I followed her with my head bowed, into what looked like a disaster site. I stood quietly in the doorway and patiently awaited a scolding. But Betsy merely paused and took in her surroundings, giving one slight nod before muttering, "Hmm, definitely homey...." I raised an eyebrow and eyed her suspiciously as she moved on to examine Rosa's room. Although, I think what she really meant to say was "homely." But wow, that not at all what I had anticipated, and I was left to determine whether that was really good...or really bad. And if I would hazard a guess, I would assume the latter. But considering that my room is "homey," has certainly encouraged me to improve my organizational skills and solve that problem. Especially considering the new student who will be sharing a room with me will be arriving tomorrow afternoon. And, in its current state, my room is anything but accommodating. So yeah, I'll get right on that, as it is my project tomorrow afternoon after church...both that and finishing last-minute VBS decorations in the chapel. And although we got a surprising amount of decorating finished today, I still need to touch-up a few things.
"Surfing the Bible" chapel décor!
So since our VBS theme is "Surfing The Scripture", we decided to transform the chapel into an "ocean." Buckets and shovels are scattered about, surfboards with scriptures are hung from the ceilings, a blue "wave" with fish, is splashed across the stage, and for the grand finale: we hung "waves" from the ceiling using blue cloth-type-stuff flowing the width of the chapel around the lights, and threw seashells, starfish and cute aquatic animals into the waves.
I am genuinely surprised at how nice it turned out and how real it appears! Gosh, I am so pumped for this VBS! This will be so exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment