Friday, August 16, 2013

Don't Like My Name!

It is Friday; as if anyone needed reminding. *sigh* All of the students, including the dorm kids went home before dinner, so the Staff are all regrouping and having an evening to ourselves to catch up with family/friends and other miscellaneous things. I certainly have mixed feelings regarding this. I must admit that while the prospect of sleeping in past 6:30am is enticing, I am already missing the students! Monday seems like forever.
     But I know everyone is tired, myself included. And Betsy admitted to feeling slightly decrepit, so I know that she will enjoy her two days of mental relaxation. Amanda has been baking nearly every day which is a welcome treat--gosh, this girl is one good cook. And Rosa and I chilled at the beach for an hour before dinner, which was heavenly. But already today, I have taken two showers (once before school and tonight after the beach,) and I am already feeling hot again. What is this? They tell me that back in PA, it's only fifty degrees...here, it's like one-hundred! I also learned that not only does milk here cost $6/gallon, it also only lasts about four days because of the heat. If it's left out on the counter for more than ten minutes, it will sour. And I am reminding myself not to open the refrigerator any more than necessary...because this also speeds up the souring process. Interesting, huh? And we are also anticipating some torrential downpours--I'm not entirely certain when to expect this, but as Betsy explained, "It happens when it happens." (Some true words of wisdom right there.) And thus I have gathered, it will be sometime in the near future.
      But neither rain nor hurricane will keep me from my appointed duties; thus I have continued assisting in the classrooms and helping with each subject of study. Oh my word, this is so much fun! So the same as every other day, I was teaching Mizael his math...or attempting to anyway. OMGosh, I love this little kid. Whether he turns around in his seat to give me a wiggly eyebrow when he earns an A in spelling or simply rolls his eyes when he's annoyed at what he's being asked to do, I cannot help but chuckle. There are many occasions during our study time that I cannot help but laugh. With his little mannerisms, he reminds me so much of myself that it's almost uncanny! He too is not particularly fond of math which becomes painfully obvious when I sit him down with his textbook and he dawdles. He watches the other students study, he plays with his pencil, he finds his eraser intriguing, he asks me questions completely unrelated to his math and invents any kind of distraction possible.
     I have learned that I too must stay focus in order for him to stay focused. This is an increasingly difficult task, as there are others needing my attention regarding math and English. But I have come to the conclusion, that while I may not be learning what they are, I am learning how to multi-task and take control of a situation as it comes. (Both of which are beneficial life-lessons.)
     And no two days are the same as he always surprises me by doing/saying something new. This afternoon, we were in the middle of a practice page in math (doing virtually the same thing as yesterday.) And although he understood, he insisted on needing my help. I shook my head, "Dude, you know what to do and this is will be graded...I really can't help you." He heaved a deep sigh and slumped forlornly in his chair. "Then just sit next to me." After he completed that page, he moved onto another book. He read the first problem and froze. "Help me." He voiced and Signed, "I don't know what to do."
     I pointed to the page and Signed/voiced, "Read this again and pay close attention to the words."
     Betsy, sitting at the end of the table and overhearing our conversation, told him that Rachel now needed to help Kevin with his paper and that he could do his math if he would only focus. A few minutes later, he poked my elbow and again pointed to the problem. "I need--" He froze and cast a weary glance at Betsy, before touching a finger to his lips. "Shhh," he hunched over and Signed. "Don't talk or she'll know I'm asking you," he Signed so she wouldn't know. What can one do?
     Minutes later, Betsy handed him his math homework from the day before (the test I had graded earlier this morning.) The grade happened to not be splendid and he sat staring at the paper before taking his pencil and scribbling out the offending digits at the top of the page. He shot my a sideways glare. Confused, I wiggled my eyebrows at him, asking him to explain. He showed me the paper, "Thanks a lot," he muttered. As if it was my fault...I'm simply the helper who happened to grade it....
     Meanwhile, Betsy was also being bombarded with questions as we sat there. With five students in a room, I was doing my best to answer any questions I could--but there were just some I don't know the answer to. Frequently, there would be two or three students at the same time calling for Betsy's attention. She moved from student to student answering questions and helping wherever needed. But there were a few moments of stress. I was busy helping Mizael with his math and while he was writing his numbers, I would answer Kevin's questions regarding his paper and help Kristian with his math. Suddenly, Kevin, Mizael and Larimar all chose that moment to ask Betsy their questions. Betsy looked up from where she was helping Francis with her math and leaned over to glance at Kevin's paper. Meanwhile, the others continued calling her name for what seemed several like minutes. Finally she looked up and got their attention. "I do not like my name!" She Signed and voiced. They all looked around in confusion until she continued, "All I've heard is, Betsy, Betsy, Betsy! I am really beginning to not like my name...so please stop saying it! I'll help you when I am finished helping him....Be patient, I'm coming." Oh my, there is never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment